The best way to ensure the long-term health of your mouth is to combine regular dental check-ups, hygienist appointments and a good oral hygiene routine at home.
Your dental hygienist will professionally clean your teeth (scale and polish) helping to make sure your mouth is fresh and healthy.
Even with regular brushing at home it is impossible to stop the daily build-up of plaque on your teeth which can cause gum irritation, bleeding and bad breath.
When left untreated, tartar build up could potentially lead to the development of gum disease. At your regular appointments, the hygienist can remove this tartar layer.
What will my Hygienist do?
- They will professionally deep clean (scale) and polish your teeth greatly reducing your chances of developing gum disease.
- They can advise and educate you regarding your oral health – including tips for keeping your mouth, teeth and gums healthy in the long-term.
- They can give recommendations for dental cleaning tools.
- They will keep your mouth (and thus your breath) fresh.
- They could help prevent the need for more involved treatments in the future.
- They could spot the early signs or oral cancers and other dental diseases.
- Some hygienists can also carry out oral assessments, fillings, x-rays, impressions, fissure sealants and fluoride treatments on behalf of the dentist.
A hygienist appointment is a great opportunity for children to be educated regarding their oral health whilst also ensuring their teeth are developing properly.
Your hygienist can also advise you on the impact of your diet and other lifestyle factors including smoking.